Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Llangollen, Llangollen – Wednesday 1 August 2012
No I am not following the American format [NY-NY] but have been giving location then canal in the heading and do not want to confuse myself or the few readers I may have.  I was up early and the camera was recharged so walked out onto the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and took photos, there was no-one else around (dog walkers not yet up).  I also walked down to the river and got pictures from there, it is spectacular seeing the light construction of the canal trough from underneath.  I also took a picture of the handle for ‘pulling the plug’ and draining the aqueduct for its five yearly maintenance and lost property recovery checks.

After removing excess weight from the boat I headed for Llangollen, and the flow of water really makes it feel that you are going uphill.  I was a single boat but kept meeting groups of boats coming down, as usual at places where there is no passing places or at blind bridges.
Today has been mixed from the weather view – dry first thing then threatening rain but the sun came out as I was mooring and when I went into the town.  Since then there have been showers (some heavy) and sun.

I have paid £12 to moor for the full 48 hours (this includes access to electricity and water at each mooring.  Tomorrow I will become a tourist – there is a steam railway, horse drawn passenger ‘fly’ and a local museum, so enough to fill the day.

The saga of the flood seems under control, I have had an electric heater running on cold air while I’ve been travelling (so as to not drain the batteries) and now that I am connected to the mains I’m going to run it while I’m moored here.  That should dry out any remaining moisture I hope, then I can return everything to proper places and look ship-shape again (or should that be narrowboat shaped)?

No comments:

Post a Comment