Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Manchester, Ashton – Wednesday 22 August 2012
I have moved from one canal to another – truly.  I have gone from Castlefield through nine locks to reach Ducie Street a whole mile away!  I’m moored up as my daughter is visiting and has offered to assist with the Ashton locks 18 of ‘em.  Started at 08:00 by turning the boat (watched by quite a few) and managed to contact with nb “I’m Crackers II” which was moored at the winding hole.  When I got to the first lock there was a family setting it for their boat nb “Beeston Castle”.  I left Ice Breaker to be operated by ‘Dad’ and went to set the next lock, I then had to return to see what the problem was as they were taking so long – the lock was leaking water at almost the same rate as they were trying to fill it – it took an hour!!  After that we got on wonderfully, I went to set the locks, ‘Mum’ and ‘Dad did the steering with help from 3 youngsters, who then dropped the paddles, closed the gates and then anti-vandal’ed the gear.  We were through lock nine just before 11:00!  They have carried on up the Ashton.
I’ve spent the day browsing round the shops, trying to avoid the crowds and enjoying the weather – although it has been cloudy, most of the day has been sunny.  In the car-park near here there is a ‘float in’ movie showing Captain America.  The car-park is near the junction so boats could get to see.  It’s part of a canal festival that Manchester is putting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment