Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rose Hill, Peak Forest – Friday 24 August 2012
Last night I moored just by Bridge 6 (Manchester Road) and was just below the car park for the Aldi supermarket, it would be peaceful if the voice from a certain motor sales didn’t keep repeating “Warning - security has been activated, you are being filmed” every time there was any movement in their compound, this went on till about 23:00 and I heard it again at 05:00.  Jules, Mark, Jess and I went off to the Cheshire Ring Hotel last night as on a Thursday they do a ‘Curry and a Pint’.  The service was prompt but basic – just the way I like it.  The background music was from the 60s & 70s so at least I knew some of the words (but didn’t sing).
As I only planned to do 4 miles I had a lazy start and didn’t get up till 08:00, then a brief visit to a supermarket and away by 10:30 mooring at 13:00.  Just after this a day boat went past and it sounded like they were stopping for a lunch break, when their boat was still making noises after half an hour I went to have a look, saw that a tree had come down blocking the canal (we had both safely passed it earlier but they had winded and were going back to the marina) so I grabbed a saw and rope and went to offer assistance.  A bit of sawing and rope use and we managed to clear a single boat width and get the branches onto the footpath, some more cutting and the footpath was cleared.  C&RT emergency were told and will get some-one out to assess and remove the trunk of the tree.  I also warned a couple of boats of the obstruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment